DRIVING to an appointment some weeks ago I was listening again to Alex Hutchinson’s truly beautiful CD -THE GOODMAN TOUCH.
Alex has been playing clarinet (and saxophone) for about 50 years, and his mastery of the instrument is outstanding – elegant and fluent, even “slick” which Alex takes as a compliment!
The first track on this disk is that old Australian folk song “The Road to Gundagai”, composed (and sung many times) by Jack O’Hagan. It is not what you would call a jazz tune by any means, but Alex plays it beautifully in this idiom.
Last Sunday we were lunching with Alex at the Amora Riverwalk Hotel in Bridge Road, Richmond where Smithy’s Jazz Trio performs, and Alex stood in with the regular band for an improvised version of this tune.
With Alex are Peter Uppman on trumpet, Brian Davies on guitar and Mark Elton on bass.
Now listen to the recorded version. I love them both!
To find out more about Alex you can visit his website www.jazzlegend.com, or most days you can find him on the Facebook page, CLARINET JAZZ POINT.
His other CDs include “The Tassie Connection” and “Clarinet Love Affair”. Look out for a new one about to be released which was recorded with clarinet virtuoso Andy Firth a few months ago.
I believe most of Alex’s recordings are available on iTunes, but if you’re like me and prefer a CD in your hand (if only for the cover notes), contact Alex at his website and I’m sure he’ll let you have one if you smile and offer him money!
Advise Me of New Posts
Search Jazz Ramble
- East Malvern Jazz - First Birthday Celebration
- Nick Polites Turns 90
- Nevill Sherburn OAM
- Andy Baylor back in Melbourne Wednesday 21st June.
- Julie O'Hara & Bopkick at East Malvern - Wednesday the 17th of May
- Jen Salisbury & James Mustafa - a new Melbourne CD
- Peter Gaudion's Blues Express - East Malvern RSL 19th April
- Michael McQuaid's New CD - Diaspora
- Michael McQuaid's Late Hour Boys - Saturday 25th March
- Wednesday Night Jazz At East Malvern RSL
- Tony Standish
- Labor Day Weeeknd 2017 Live Jazz
- 100 Years Of Recorded Jazz
- Jazz News - Port Fairy, Eltham & Wangaratta
- Announcing the death of Jane La Scala
- Bell Brothers Tribute @ Eltham
- Johnny Adams and the joy of music
- John Adams, piano master: Vale and Rest in Peace
- Clark Terry: jazz great dies at 94
- Ballarat! Ballarat! Ballarat!: 70th Australian Jazz Convention
- Clark Terry documentary: Oscar nomination
- The Marvellous Shaye Cohn: Happy Birthday
- Moama Jazz Weekend
- Leigh Barker and The New Sheiks
- Clarinet legend Acker Bilk dies at 85
- Wombats again!!
- Tuba Skinny back in Australia in September/October!
- The Maple Leaf forever: legendary favourites together again at Williamstown
- The Wombats re-unite at the Rosstown
- New Trad Jazz Gig at the Rising Sun
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- March 2016
- October 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011